Vision is one element that is pivotal for any dream to become a reality. When you as the dreamer fail to see beyond today in terms of where the dream will becomes hard to solicit the much needed support and guidance. Vision is the ability to see into the future about your dream or idea. Until you are able to project yourself, 5, 10 or more year into the future, you will limit your idea. Vision casting can not be delegated to people who have no idea where the vision is coming from or going. Secondary personalities will scuttle the vision with their own perceptions and experiences in the name of adding value. You can not have board meetings that last 10 hours where people argue. While it is important to consult and clarify to parties concerned, it is crucial for the founder of the vision to be in the loop of what new leadership is visioning. A shared vision is where all board members share their views and someone notes all the viewpoints. These are later distilled to formulate one broad vision. The same vision is also used to craft the mission statement. However, any vision that is formulated must be approved by the founder to ensure there is no massive deviation from the original intention.
– A vision must be futuristic – It speaks of what we see ourselves as a year, two or even 50 years from now. A vision has no focus on the past. It looks at what can be rather than focus on what has failed to happen.
– Vision is very important for the organization – A building is as strong as its foundation. A weak foundation points to a weak building which can crumble with the passage of time. A vision statement is not just an nice statement to have but it is meant to be lived by.
– Your vision needs people to bring to pass – It is very rare for a vision to simply come to pass just by your own contribution to it. You need other people to assist you. They bring in the skills and experiences which you may not have. A vision needs people just the way people require a vision to live.
– Your vision must live beyond your time – Visions that exist only when the owner is available are not strong legacy visions. You must think generationally. Many years from now we should Vision 20 reviews still talk of your vision. People should still benefit from your exploits.
– Your vision must be realistic yet big – Sometimes people cast very large visions which people are scared to get involved in. It is wisdom to ensure that though you may have a scary vision inside, roll it out to people who support you gradually.
– Avoid discouragement, tell people you trust – You may be discouraged if you preempt your vision to jealous elements. Tell people who can help you think deeper and sharpen your approach to your vision. Some people will label you “a dreamer” even if the dream is so good.
– You must be excited about your own vision – There is no use pursuing what you are not passionate about. What for? You are guaranteed of fatigue along the way. If you are not passionate about it then stop and rethink.
Rabison Shumba is a young African entrepreneur who has interests in Information and Communication Technology, Agriculture and Mining. He is also a motivational speaker, trainer and author. His book, The Greatness Manual and various online articles are tools for personal and professional development. Together with 100 other Career Experts, Rabison co-authored the 101 Great Ways to Enhance your Career. Rabison has a personal vision of impacting the lives of children in marginalized communities by creating platforms for career counsel and guidance, information empowerment and capacity building through the Greatness Factory Trust